1. Download the latest version of Microsoft ActiveSync software and install it on your PC. You will need this software in order to share, move, view, and backup your files between PDA and a PC.
2. Connect a PDA cradle to a PC.
3. Start the PDA. Go through screen calibration steps if prompted. When you see Today Screen insert PDA into the cradle.
5. Now you need to indicate what files you want to be synchronized between the PDA and PC. We recommend to synchronize all default items plus Files. When Files are chosen, all files including sound recordings are synchronized between PDA and PC automatically. The direction on how to move files between PDA and PC manually are described in the FAQ "How to move files from PDA to PC".
6. If the STG for Pocket PC™ software is not installed on the PDA - install it now by double clicking on Setup.exe in the program CD/floppy. You can download the latest version of the STG for Pocket PC™ from Downloads.
7. Install the STG for PC™. This program allows you to visualize, playback, and analyze sound files on your desktop or notebook computer. You can download the latest version of the STG for PC™ from Downloads.
We recommend to set the Start Button to start STG software on the
PDA. Tap Start > Settings > Buttons > Button 5. On the
button assignment dropout menu choose STG. Tap OK.
9. By default, the screen will go dark if the device is inactive for more than 30 seconds. We recommend to increase Backlight time to 3 minutes. Tap Start > Settings > System Tab > Backlight. On the "Turn off backlight..." dropout menu choose 3 min. Tap OK.
10. Remove the PDA from the cradle.
11. Connect the audio output of the Stethoscope to the PDA audio input.
Sound Recording and Visualization
Start the STG for Pocket PC™ software with the Record button.
Another way to record - while holding PDA at the bottom use your thumb
to press left side of the Navigation button to start recording.
14. On the first use Registration screen will popup. Tap the Try It! button.
On the Recording Information screen include patient's first and last names
and indicate a chest piece position. Tap OK. This will start the
16. Talk into the chest piece to test the connection. Waveform amplitude in the STG window is expected to follow the amplitude of you voice.
Stop recording by clicking right side of the Navigation button.
The Save screen dialog will popup.
18. Click Yes on the Save screen to save the recording into the file. All recorded sounds are saved into the folder named FirstName_LastName (you specify the patients' first name and last name when you tap the Record button), and which is located in My Documents. The name of the file itself consists of the following: FirstName_LastName_Date_Time_StethoscopePosition. (For example, if you are recording Michael Smith on July 22, 2002 at 3:31pm ,and you position the stethoscope on the right side of his back, this recording will be saved in My Documents > Michael_Smith > Michael_Smith_22Jul2002_153135_RB.wav).
19. To listen to the sound connect headphones or amplified speakers to the PDA. Click the center of the Navigation button to start playback. Stop playback by clicking right side of the Navigation button.
20. FOR POCKET PC HP2700 SERIES: To enable sound playback, tap Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Enable Sounds for Programs (check the box next to Programs.) This is enabled by default. If you disabled it, please enable it again for STG playback.